Free LGBT+ resources platform launched by Just Like Us
Just Like Us, the LGBT+ young people’s charity, has launched a new platform where teachers can download free primary and secondary school resources for EYES to KS4 about LGBT+ inclusion.
Free lesson plans, assemblies, form-time activities, videos and posters are now available for EYFS, KS1, KS2, KS3 and KS4 teachers to download and make their schools more LGBT+ inclusive.
The platform has been launched ahead of School Diversity Week, the UK-wide celebration of LGBT+ equality in thousands of primary and secondary schools, happening this 20-24 June.
Just Like Us has more than 40 free resources in all key subjects including maths, English, citizenship, science, PSHE and geography – with more to be uploaded as School Diversity Week approaches. GCSE resources are also included.
The free poster pack contains 20 colourful posters with positive messaging about being LGBT+, which has been linked to pupils having better wellbeing, as well as diverse families and famous LGBT+ celebrity icons who have made history and a list of LGBT+ support groups/charities that pupils can turn to.
How to access the free, LGBT+ inclusive school resources:
If you are a member of school staff at a primary school, secondary school or sixth form college, here’s how to access the free resources.
- Sign up for School Diversity Week by creating an account and ticking ‘School Diversity Week’
- You’ll then receive an email saying you’ve been signed up and granted access to the resources
- Browse and download resources in our portal
Free Early Years lesson plans on LGBT+ inclusion included:
- ‘A Reading Guide to Elmer’ lesson plan for EYFS storytime with Slides and a video]
- ‘Counting and addition’ Slides for EYFS Maths
- ‘Five finger family’ lesson plan for EYFS (Expressive arts and design) with Slides and a song/video
- ‘Different families’ lesson plan, Slides and videos for EYFS (Understanding the world)
Free, LGBT+ inclusive KS1 and KS2 lesson plans and assemblies available:
- Celebrating diversity KS1/KS2 assembly with Slides
- Anne Lister’s code lesson plan and Slides for KS2 Literacy
- ‘LGBT+ scientists’ lesson plan and Slides for KS2 Science
- Alan Turing lesson plan and Slides for KS2 Computing
Free KS3 and KS4 lesson plans, assemblies and form time activites available:
- ‘Gender around the world’, ‘When someone comes out to you’, ‘Diversi-tree’, ‘How to be an ally’, ‘LGBT+ flags and symbols’ and ‘LGBT+ 101’ form time activities for secondary school pupils (both KS3 and KS4)
- ‘LGBT+ identity in art’ lesson plan and Slides for KS3 Art and Design
- ‘Matching LGBT+ artists’ lesson resource for KS3 and KS4 Art and Design
- ‘Diversity in computing’ lesson plan and Slides for KS3 Computing
- ‘Meet LGBT+ poets’ lesson plan and Slides for KS3
- ‘LGBT+ identity in spoken word poetry’ lesson resource Slides for KS3 Drama
- Carol Ann Duffy’s poem ‘Hour’ lesson plan and Slides for KS3 English
- ‘The power of words: Blackout exercise’ lesson plan and Slides for KS3 English
- ‘Visualising and interpreting data’ lesson plan, spreadsheet resource and Slides for KS3 Maths
- Quick statistics quiz with Slides for KS3 Maths
- ‘Write a diversity anthem’ lesson plan, resources and Slides for KS3 Music
- LGBT+ young people’s video stories for KS3 PSHE and ‘The importance of being an ally’ lesson plan, Slides and video resources for KS4 PSHE
- ‘Diversity design challenge’ lesson plan and Slides for KS3 Design and Technology
- ‘My family’ lesson plans, worksheets, video resources and Slides for KS3 MFL: French, Spanish and German
- ‘Queer Eye probability’ lesson plan, Slides and resource worksheet for KS4 Maths
- ‘Same-gender love in art’ lesson plan, worksheet, video resources and Slide for KS4 Art and Design
- ‘The Glamour Boys’ lesson plan, resources and Slides for KS4 History
- ‘How is geography related to identity?’ lesson plan, video and worksheet resources and Slides for KS4 Geography
- ‘Non-traditional casting’ lesson plan and Slides with a Shakespeare timeline resource and Romeo and Juliet extract for KS4 Drama
- ‘What is intersectionality?’ and ‘What is Pride?’ KS3 and KS4 assemblies, including the history of Pride in the UK and signposting to your school’s local Pride
What is School Diversity Week?
School Diversity Week is the UK-wide celebration of LGBT+ equality in primary schools and secondary schools.
Set up by Just Like Us to ensure all young people know that it’s OK to be LGBT+, School Diversity Week is celebrated by thousands of schools every June.
Just Like Us provides free LGBT+ inclusive educational resources so that school staff across the UK can celebrate with their pupils.
This year’s event follows Just Like Us’ independent research report that found positive messaging about being LGBT+ in schools is linked to pupils having better mental health and wellbeing, regardless of whether the pupil is LGBT+ or not.